What is a Notary Signing Agent (NSA)?
A Notary Signing Agent is a Notary who has special expertise to handle and notarize loan papers. You should know where the borrower signs, what the documents mean, and how you complete a loan signing. As a loan signing agent, it is your job to be sure the borrower feels comfortable signing and filling out the loan documents. Consider additional signing agent education/certification to add to your resume.
- If possible, review the documents in advance and add a sign here stickers to pages that need initialized and or signed.
- Prepare document copies and arrange in order for signatures.
- Know who to contact with questions during signing.
- Be sure your cell phone is charged and that your notary stamp is inked.
- Have additional pens, note pads and business cards available.
- Verify appointment location. (Arrive 15 minutes early to set up area).
- Verify social distance and PPE (personal protections equipment) requirements.
- Verify Wi-fi and password (if required) at signing location.
- Verify payment arrangements in advance.
- Do not offer advice or personal opinions.
- Reach out to escrow officers, loan officers, and real estate agents for signing opportunities.
- Consider adding remote online authorization to your traditional notary commission as an added benefit to potential clients.
There are many signing agent training programs available. Below are websites of those we hear about most often.