The ONLY entity selected to provide the education and training to be a traditional Ohio Notary Public and an Ohio Online Notary Public.
We are your one-stop shop for meeting the education and testing requirements to earn or renew your traditional notary commission and become authorized as an online notary public in Ohio, plus you can order your supplies from us too! No need to go anywhere else.
Please Choose a Notary Type to begin:
Ohio Notary Services is the ONLY entity in the state permitted to provide the education and testing to help you become authorized as an online notary public.
Please remember that you must be commissioned as a "traditional" Ohio Notary Public or in the process of becoming one in order to be authorized as an Ohio Online Notary Public. The Secretary of State is NOT able to approve your application to be an Online Notary Public until you are also a "traditional" Notary Public.
Note, this option is NOT for those wishing to be a "traditional" Notary Public. You may access those educational options here.
Notary Law Checklist (details below)
Obtain a formal Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) background check
Visit www.becomeanohionotary.com. Select an in-person class and test (if required) or choose to do both online.
Attend the class and pass the test (if required.) Ohio Notary Services will provide you with a certificate for submission to the Secretary of State.
Return to www.becomeanohionotary.com to purchase your notary supplies. Free standard shipping on all notary bundles! (Use the code “FREE”)
Earn or Renew Your Traditional Notary
Because of our unique partnership we are the most experienced notary education provider in the state. Complete all your required training and testing online or in person at one of six convenient locations. You can renew existing commissions with us up to 90 days in advance…just don’t miss your expiration date or the law requires you to start over as a new notary!
Become an Online Notary
Ohio law allows for the online notarization of documents by authorized online notaries public. Save yourself, your company and those seeking to have something notarized time and money with this new designation.
Ohio Notary Services is the Ohio Secretary of State’s sole authorized provider for training and testing to become an online notary.
Online notarization become legal in Ohio in September 2019. The ability to have a document notarized online simplifies the entire process for notaries and clients alike. There are many benefits that include the ability to:
- Provide a welcome service to clients who simply are not able to make it to an office.
- Maintain social distance.
- Be confident about the identity of the person seeking your services through advanced security safeguards required by law.
- “Go Green” with digital-only copies of the documents being notarized
- Offer clients a video recording of the entire notarization process
- State maximum fee of $25.00 per notarization.
Along with the above benefits, some considerations that need to be resolved before taking the leap.
- Research and secure a technology vendor that will meet your notarization needs. There are many vendors in the market place
- As Ohio’s online education and testing provider, Ohio Notary Services does not recommend any particular vendor. . This is a critical step before you begin your application with the Secretary of State.
- Don’t begin the education until you are certain you have the time to closely watch the educational video. The two-hour training video is required by statute and was approved by the Secretary of State’s office. Please pay close attention to the information provided and take notes. You may not be familiar with the changes covered under the new law.
- If you fail the exam, statute requires a 30-day waiting period before you can make a second attempt. ONS cannot waive the 30-day waiting period. There are no exceptions.
Notary Law Checklist (full)
Obtain a formal Bureau of Criminal Investigation records check (BCI) current within six months of application. Visit https://bit.ly/2kH0pfn for information on obtaining the records check. If the records check does not contain disqualifying offenses, then the applicant may proceed to the next step. Use BCI Code: 147.22
Visit www.becomeanohionotary.com. Create an account and select whether you want to take an in-person class and test (if required) or if you wish to do both online.
Attend the class or watch the online video and take the test (if required.) Upon verifying successful completion of both Ohio Notary Services will provide you with a certificate for submission to the Secretary of State.
Return to www.becomeanohionotary.com when you receive your notary commission to purchase all of your notary supplies. Now, free standard shipping on all notary bundles! (Use the code “FREE”)